Wherever you invest your money into marketing activity, you should be measuring the effectiveness so that you know which effort gives you the best return. This will enable you to decide where you should be spending less or more.
So how can you track your marketing? Online is much easier to do nowadays as there are many tools. most of them free to use, offline can be trickier but it is possible.
- Google analytics – every website should use this tool – it is free and very comprehensive measuring visitors to your site, their activity (such as bounce rate) and a lot of other analytics.
- Shortened links – services such as bit.ly can be used to generate specific links that can be forward to another link be it your webpage, or social media page or elsewhere on the internet. These sites will automatically count the number of click-throughs using that particular link.
- Tracking numbers – you can purchase phone numbers that can be diverted to any other number such as your normal line or mobile, the provider will then track the number of incoming calls automatically – this will give you an indication of the popularity of various marketing campaigns if you use specific numbers for specific projects.
- Specific email addresses – it is quite easy to set up unique emails to use for each different marketing campaign that you do, so you will know all incoming emails with that address are specific to that piece of marketing. Again they can be forwarded to your normal email address.
- Landing pages – depending on your web provider and the set up of your website, you can set up pages that people are directed to if they respond to a given campaign. Google Analytics can easily track how many visitors there are to that page.
- Reference code – this has been used since adverts existed and it is something that can be quoted when potential customers make contact; which you can then manually track to assess the success of an advert or leaflet drop for example.
- QR codes – useful for any printed material to make it easy for people to scan into their smart device and get directed to a web link typically. This can be combined with landing pages or shortened links.
- Postal address modification – it maybe possible to have a reference in your address or slightly modify it so that it can be linked to a campaign.
- Answer service – it may be useful to have a 3rd party take incoming calls for you in which case they can ask a simple question to better understand how someone has found out about you.
- Just ask! – when someone makes contact, just ask how they found out about you.
Undertaking some of these methods will enable you to measure the effectiveness of any marketing activity that you undertake and indicate to you which are working better than others. If you don’t see a return on certain campaigns that you do, then redirect your marketing funds elsewhere.